The Duke of Wellington
36 Bugle Street, Southampton, SO14 2AH - Phone 023 80339222
|Main||Opening Times||Function Room||Real Ales||Real Food||Weddings|
Historic Real Ale PubWelcoming English Pub with real English Ales
Positioned in Southampton's historic Bugle Street, the award winning Duke of Wellington Pub has been a silent witness to many of the city's most famous events. The dark timbered building was originally built upon Norman vaults and cellars in 1220 and was first leased out to a Benedict Ace, one of the city's earliest mayors.
During the great French raid of 1338 it was badly damaged but only required a repair job when other parts of the city were destroyed.
In 1494 the building was for the first time converted into a public house after being bought by brewer Rowland Johnson who named it Bere House or Brew House.
Johnson not only sold drink but also started brewing his own and subsequently set up the city's first brewery.
Port books of the day record the importation of his brewing equipment and brewing hops from his native town in what is now Holland.
In 1620 the pub would have been passed many times by the Pilgrim Fathers on their way to the Mayflower, which sailed its maiden voyage to the New World from the bottom of Bugle Street.
By 1771 the pub was renamed the Shipwrights Arms serving the many local ship builders.
After the Battle of Waterloo in June 1815, the owners of the pub celebrated by changing its name to that of the victorious Duke of Wellington who had become a national hero.
|Find us on Facebook and click
like and receive notifications
from the pub!
|Duke of Wellington
36 Bugle Street
Southampton, SO14 2AH
Phone 023 80339222
|Campaign for Real Ales
South Hants CAMRA Site
|southampton-pubs.co.uk||E & OE|